Special Needs
Options

Need advice on therapy schedule, activities for DS (Long post)

Hi,

I have been home w/DS since his birth, and am losing my mind trying to organize a schedule, come up w/new activities, make sure I am keeping DS entertained/stimulated.

He's 15 mos, and has a busy therapy schedule (maybe it's too much, I am still trying to figure it all out).    Lately, I feel so overwhelmed with all his appts, but I want to try a variety of therapists to make sure DS is getting what he needs, from a therapist who is qualified. I've been disappointed w/the services Early Steps has provided.

He has hearing loss (profound and severe), and a neurological condition (hypoplasia of the corpus callosum), that is known to cause speech/language delays and coordination issues.  My biggest concern is communication, which I why I'm loading on the therapy.  Also, I have been unable in our area to find a program to teach ASL to our family, including DS  (we've been learning and using basic signs, but I really wish I could find a good infant-toddler program - like the one you and Nate attend, Assembly Required!), or one that has "deaf mentors," who come to the house each week (we had this where we used to live).  I am very worried about not having the abillity to expose DS to fluent ASL models.

Here is the current schedule:

MONDAY:  

Speech therapy @ home (through EI):  8:00 -8:30

Oral motor & OT @ facility (private):  2:00 - 3:00

TUESDAY:

Deaf/hard of hearing teacher @ home:   8:30 - 9:30

WEDNESDAY:

OT @ home (EI):  8:15-9:15

Oral motor @ facility (private):  10:00-10:30

THURSDAY:

PT @ facility (private but waiting to hear from EI): 9:30 -10:00

FRIDAY:

Speech therapy @ facility (private): 9:00-9:30

The speech therapy on Friday is new, and I hope to work with this therapist on al forms of communication including AAC.  She did recommend 2 sessions each week, but at present we can't work out a time.

Also, we had been going to an auditory-verbal therapist (also SLP) Friday mornings, but this time won't work anymore so I will need to reschedule, assuming we continue with this (I am on the fence b/c I don't think she is really meeting our needs).   

Do you think this is too much, in terms of being counterproductive or just overwhelming for DS? 

Also, what kinds of activities do you who are SAHMs do w/yoour LOs at home?  We play with his toys (he likes cars, things that go, read books, use blocks), play outside in the yard, but I need some new ideas.

Thanks for reading,

M