August 2013 Moms

Iron Supplement

Hi ladies So I had my 20 week checkup the other day and a student midwife came in to basically do my whole appointment. I didn't really mind but this was the first appointment I went to with a list of questions and I really feel like she didn't know what she was talking about in some of her answers.

The most important question I had is if I should be taking an iron supplement. I take the vitafusion prenatal gummies and those have NO iron in them and I have read that after 20 weeks iron is extra important. She told me I don't have to though and to basically just eat eggs and I will get iron from them.

I'm sure I am not getting enough iron from the foods I eat and would rather just take a supplement. I mean how many eggs does she expect me to eat to get the recommended daily amount? The student MW said they will test my blood again around 28 weeks and then determine if I need more iron.

Eh. I don't really feel comfortable with her advice or waiting until 28 weeks if my body and baby could use it now. Especially when my prenatal has none. If this was my actual MW I wouldnt be questioning it. What do you ladies think? Anyone start taking an iron supplement after 20 weeks per order of their doctor or not?

If anyone could recommend a chewable that would be great.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml