August 2013 Moms

How rude! Venting...

I never realized how rude people are before getting pregnant.  It's finally getting to me.  My boyfriend and I made the decision to have a baby over a year ago even though we aren't going to get married yet (we live together, but for various reasons it doesn't make sense right now).  We told our families and certain friends about our decision so they wouldn't think it was a surprise when I got pregnant.  Half of them asked if "we had any luck" every time we saw them after.  Geez!  I found it rude, because what if we couldn't?  But I chalked it up to they were very excited for us and were just looking for good news. 

Now that we started telling everyone else, it boils down to most people asking in their own way, "was it an oops?".  The question takes various forms:

- Any plans on getting married?

- How are your parents taking it?

- Were you using birth control?

- Was it planned?

- Is this good news?

You get the gist.  First of all, it's not their business. Second, I would never think of asking someone something so personal.  Why can't they just be happy for us and say congratulations?  And it's not just one or two people.  It's more in the 80-90% range.  We are responsible adults in our mid 30s who made a conscious decision to have a child before it was too late.  I don't like that people are implying that my baby is a mistake.

I really want to get a t-shirt made that says, "I am not an oops.  Any other questions?" with an arrow pointing to my bump.

Sorry for the long post.   I just needed to get it out.