July 2012 Moms

Don't judge - divorce?

Ok so here's the deal. DH and I really didn't "think things through" before we got married. If we had, then we would have waited to get married. I truly wish that we had just continued living together and had a baby "out of wedlock".

DH owes the IRS a significant amount of money (about $30K). He has been trying and trying to work out an official payment plan with them for over a year now but it's not as easy as it sounds and they are one of the most disorganized organizations that ever existed. No one communicates with anyone and things are always a mess. Because of this, DH and I have to file taxes separately - which, essentially screws me on my returns.

Also, because of this debt, we cant get a mortgage. I can get one alone but it's pointless because DH makes twice as much money as me. I need to be able to list his income and they won't allow me to. They will only consider mine.

If we weren't married, I could file my taxes as single and claim DD and I could also get a much higher mortgage by claiming child support as part of my income... that would basically FORCE the lender to consider at least part of DH's income since it would be MY income too.

We're seriously considering getting a divorce and not telling any of our friends. It just seems to make life easier. What do you ladies think? ... I know this is bizarre and unconventional.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml