July 2012 Moms

ER Update!

We survived the ER!  Yay!  Sorry I didn't update before.  We're in the path of Madam Sandy and we've been trying to get ready.

Turns out that I have a UTI and a ginormous ovarian cyst.  They said that if I wasn't pregnant they'd be discussing surgery with me, but for now we're just going to watch it since surgery would be dangerous in the first tri.  The annoying thing about the UTI is that I went to the doc thinking that's what it was, but he sent me to the ER without running any tests.

Also, I about killed a nurse practitioner while I was there.  I thought she was a doctor, and she had been "treating" me since I got to the ER.  She called for the blood and urine tests, had an ultrasound done, etc.  All good.  But then she wanted to do a CT scan.  I asked about the risks and she got all annoyed.  She said the risks included abnormalities and aborting the pregnancy.  I told her I wasn't comfortable with that.  She then  basically told me that the CT was my only option to rule out appendicitis, and since I hadn't planned this pregnancy, the risks really didn't matter, and might help me in the long run.  Um WHAT?  I turned her down again...politely, though I wanted to either cry or kill her.  Just because I didn't plan this baby doesn't mean I don't love it already.

Next thing I know, a surgeon is in there.  He's telling me he's going to get an MRI done.   I asked about risks.  He says there are no known risks to a pregnancy with an MRI.  I told him I thought CT was my only option.  He got a weird look on his face and said no, they don't usually run CTs on pregnant people, just MRIs.  As he's talking, the NP comes back in, and stands there glaring.  He asks who she is and she tells him she's the NP.  Oh really?  I tell the surgeon I originally thought I had a UTI.  He looked at the NP and asked about my urine results.  SHE HADN'T LOOKED AT THEM.  He sent her to do that, and got me into the MRI.  MRI was clean, and my urine results showed the UTI.

I'm going to write the hospital about that NP as soon as I can figure out who I need to address it to. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.   They meant a lot to me!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml