1st Trimester

Last week of first tri/Shingles

So everything had been going great, my symptoms relaxed, my fatigue subsided, and my appetite came back (full force, might I add.) Then last Saturday, I noticed a rash above my belly under my ribcage. It wasn't itchy, just really red and a cluster of bumps. I figured it was an allergic reaction to something & gave it a few days to clear. It just got redder, so I went to the ER yesterday, and they diagnosed it as a shingles outbreak. The doctor advised I could take antiviral medications, but since my rash was at the final stage, it seems to be going away on it's own and it'd be best to just not take the medication, as they're not 100 percent proven safe for pregnancy.

The doctor did not seem all that concerned in regards to the pregnancy, and I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday anyways, but it seems to me that most articles on shingles emphasize it being critical to inform your OB right away if you contract it.

My OB of course is closed today, and so I am just going to discuss it at my appointment Monday.

Anyone else ever have this while pregnant or know someone who has? Just kind of hoping it has no effect on the baby at all, and wondering if they'll even be able to find out if it has until the baby is actually born.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml