1st Trimester

Men's Attendance at Birth

So. Not sure how to feel or what to think.

My BF and I have been together 10 months. Baby was a complete surprise - so a lot of details about pregnancy and such had never been discussed.

He's very much a classical guy. He's a broad, burly, (handsome), sports-loving, American-male. 

The other day I was watching a documentary about the health care system and birthing experiences. When he came into the room, the look on his face was just... sheer horror. And he confessed... he doesn't want to be present during delivery. Doesn't think he can handle the nitty gritty of birth. 

Considering I'd like to try for a natural birth, having the one man that gives me the most comfort, the father of my child, feels very pivotal to my success. I know men have typically only been attending births for the last 50 years, but... I want him there. Any suggestions? Anyone else dealing with the same?  

Edit:

I do think it should be said that I understand not wanting to watch events between my legs, or cut the cord. I'm totally fine with that... but I still want him there when that baby is laid on my chest, and have him see our baby the moment they come into this world. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml