2nd Trimester

Cervix Question (TMI)

I know I don't post here, but I am a long time lurker. I'm almost 26 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I can usually find answers to my questions just by reading other posts, but I have yet to see a question like this. A few days ago, I noticed a good amount of mucus-like discharge, which is unusual for me. Now maybe I'm being paranoid, but I know the cervix is supposed to form a mucus plug to protect baby from bacteria and such, and I'm a little worried that this is what I was seeing.

From what I've learned from "Dr. Google" the mucus plug is expelled once the cervix begins to open. When trying to conceive I monitored my cervix position, texture, etc. so I decided to check it last night (with clean fingers mind you) out of curiosity, and it did feel slightly open, almost like I could fit my fingertip inside. I'm no doctor and I don't know how a pregnant cervix should feel. I'm just a little worried that I could be dilating so early.

So my question is if any of you have felt your cervix lately, and if so, how does it feel? I have a check-up appointment on Friday and will definitely ask my midwife about my concern.