January 2012 Moms

XP: Nanny Share

Hi - Sorry this is long - but some background is necessary!  I'm needing some temporary daycare for my LO when I return to work (watch baby April-July) because the daycare at work will not be available yet.  I've luckily found a neighbor that works from home and has in-home daycare for her 2yo.  She's open to sharing the nanny and I've met/like the nanny.  The nanny only charges my neighbor $55/ 9 hr day for watching her son.  So when the nanny quoted me the same I was fine becaues this is much lower than any in-home option I know of.  Upon telling my neighbor, she thought it was too high that the nanny make double.  What is your experience when a nanny is keeping multiple kids in terms of a reduced rate?  I'm also considering offering to pay $65 and the neighbor could pay $45.  I also thought about asking approaching the nanny and telling her that I understand the norm is to be less and see if she'll do it for $90-$95/day for both kids.  What do you think? 

Also - one more detail, nanny is working on her masters.  She has about 3 yr experience. Pretty certain she's not doing taxes or social security on this income which is why her rate is low.    

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml