Cloth Diapering

XP: Intro & EC/Cloth diapering ?

Hi Ladies!  I have been a frequent lurker on this board (you all have been so helpful in my cloth diapering ventures!) and now I have a question.  But first, an intro.  I am Katie, and my (almost) 3 month old son is Samuel.  
We have been cloth diapering since he was 3 weeks old, using GMD prefolds and covers.

The past few days, S's penis has been very very dry (rough to the touch, white looking with dry skin...).  We have been practicing EC (elimination communication -- I learn to read his signals and put him on a potty instead of him going in a diaper) and something has clicked lately, so we have had a lot more dry diapers.  I mention this because I don't know if the cloth is irritating him, and maybe the wetness of past diapers masked it? (or maybe it's the dryness that irritates)??  Also, the diapers don't seem to be as soft as they should be; could that be the problem, and how would I fix that??  We have been using Tide Original Powder without problems since the beginning, and absorbancy is not an issue.

What do you think??  Should I strip the diapers?  do some naked time to see if it helps?  put lotion on him?  If it matters, he was in disposibles recently for about 2 weeks, due to a long trip.  He stayed dry in the disposibles, with no penis issues...

TIA!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml