Cloth Diapering

New Here and have questions

Hello, I'm new to the cloth diapering community. I'm due to have my first baby in July and we really wanna cloth diaper. I have worked for years in childcare (daycare teacher, nanny), but have never, no, not once, in over 10 years used a cloth diaper.

My husband and went to some shops last weekend to look at the options, but felt overwhelmed. Um, ok I think velcro would be easy for a toddler to remove herself, and I don't wanna mess with pins, but other than that we couldn't narrow down what we liked best.

I saw some pocket diapers that looked nice enough, but we were confused: you put the insert in the pocket, then the baby poops and pees on the outside of the pocket, and it gets absorbed into the insert through the pocket fabric--but doesn't that make the outside top part of the pocket gross, demanding it be washed before its reused? Am I correct in then assuming both the insert and the outter cloth cover must be washed each time? Won't this quickly wear out the outside cover?

If so, that seems like a lot of laundry. Any other cloth diapers that demand less washing or am I just not understanding the process of pocket diapers?

Sorry if this is a totally stupid question and thanks in advance for taking the time to explain.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml